Serving the residents of the National Capital Area
The League of Women Voters of the National Capital Area [LWVNCA] is an Inter League Organization (ILO). It is comprised of the District of Columbia League and those Leagues in Maryland and Virginia surrounding the nation's capital. Once you join one of the local Leagues in the LWVNCA region, you become a member of the local and state Leagues and of the LWV of the United States.
We are a nonpartisan, political, membership organization that encourages informed and active participation in government. The League influences public policy through education and advocacy at all levels of government.
Naumann Award Information Learn More
- The League of Women Voters of the National Capital Area (LWVNCA) biannually presents the Madeline Naumann Achievement Award. This year's award will be granted at the LWVNCA Annual Meeting on Saturday, May 6, 2017. The award was named in honor of LWVNCA's first president. Its purpose is to recognize outstanding achievements by Local Leagues. These would be activities whose effects, applicability, or interest transcend local League boundaries. We invite the participation of all local Leagues constituting LWVNCA. While management achievements such as membership and communication will qualify for the award, program achievements will receive favored consideration.
The Award Winning League will receive an Award Certificate, and an unrestricted grant of $400.00. Honorable Mentions may also be awarded.
The application should contain the following information, limited to 2 typed single spaced pages:
Name of submitting Local League
Name and telephone number of a contact person for additional information
Short title of the achievement
Full description of the achievement
A description of the condition or circumstances that prompted the project
What effects or change resulted
What further results might reasonably be anticipated
Applications should be submitted to the Naumann Award Committee by March 20, 2017. Attachments, such as publications, news accounts and correspondence may be included. (If feasible, submit five copies of the attachments for simultaneous review by the committee members.) Applications should relate to projects,
activities, events, or other achievements completed not more than two years before the application due date. Applications on behalf of achievements that may still be accruing notable benefits are acceptable, but must specify a reasonable completion point, such as the date of a publication, legislative action, or goal accomplishment. Each League may submit up to three applications.
Applications should be addressed to:
Barbara S. Ewalt
11037 Saffold Way
Reston, VA 20190-3806
Upcoming Events Learn More
- Upcoming Event
LWVNCA Call to Annual Convention Learn More
- Naumann Award
Resources for Leagues Learn More
- Resource Ideas for Leagues & Past Events
Calendar of Events Learn More
- 2017 Events:
We sponsor meetings and events for the public and League members
Elections & Elected Officials Learn More
- Election information in our member jurisdictions can be found at the respective States of Maryland, Virginia and District of Columbia election websites.
About the LWV of the National Capital Area Learn More
- The purpose of LWVNCA shall be to promote political responsibility through informed and active participation in government, and to act on selected governmental issues of a metropolitan, regional or interjurisdictional nature such as energy, water and transportation.
Bylaws of LWVNCA Learn More
- Governing document of the LWVNCA
Program & Positions Learn More
- Positions of the LWVNCA arrived at through member study and consensus
Regional Governance Learn More
- The Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments
Join the League Learn More
- We welcome you joining our grassroots organization.
Contact Us Learn More
- ...for more information.
LWVNCA Member Leagues